View Single Post
      02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #56
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Nice work and good advice all the way around. I did mine a couple weeks ago and although I'm a DIY guy by nature (I have an R56 cylinder head fresh from the machine shop on my kitchen counter at the moment) I would not do this again. It seriously kicked my ass and I was contemplating towing it to a decent mechanic to bail me out.

My advice for future amateur mechanics:
It was the top flange that did me in. I started with ramps, then ended up jacking the car up from there to give me some extra room. Ultimately I had my wife hanging on to the O2 sensor wire from above to keep it in roughly the right spot while I finagled it in the clamp. Then it took 5 minutes to line it up and get the clamp on it. I just couldn't hold it in the right place and get my hands on the clamp due to the tight space. I understand my cautionary tale is the exception from what I've read here but there have been some other stories and pleas for help so I'd make sure that you knew what you were up against if you were thinking about this yourself. Took me 4 hours with all the trouble, and I now doubt the integrity of the top gasket because I was mashing the downpipe up there. Hopefully the material isn't asbestos either because it was raining down on me....

Yes, the next time would be easier. Ramps are not sufficient IMO. I'm a decent-sized guy and it just wasn't enough room. And the space is really tight to begin with.

TLDR; it's hard but worth it. if you're $300 ahead in life, find a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
I installed mine yesterday. I won't say it's hard, just kind of a PITA. I just had the car up on ramps. It's one of those typical car things where an extra hand and an extra elbow or 2 would make things much easier. Here's a few tips if you're doing the same.

First, the dent in a Fabspeed catted DP isn't damage, it's supposed to be there to allow for oil line clearance.

Ensure you have some reverse torx (star) sockets, one of which you'll need to free up the exhaust. That wiggle room allows you to remove\replace the DP.

Knock the clamps loose with a hammer and screwdriver. You need to tap them on the ends where the bolt tightens them.

When installing the new DP, the top is the trickier part. I found it best to ensure that upper clamp is around the flange on the turbo then work the DP flange into that.

Don't tighten up the clamps too soon. You'll need to adjust it for sure. Once the bracket is secure, you'll know you're in the exact right spot and can tighten up.

Ensure everything is tight. From reading, it seems a bad seal, especially on the turbo side, is the biggest cause of CELs.

I was close to removing the inner fender liner on the passenger front. I don't have huge forearms and it really interferes with your access. I didn't do it, but was close. If you have bigger arms, think about it.

My biggest mistake was somehow losing my Fabspeed stickers they sent. I must have thrown them out with the packing stuff. I already had a spot on the toolbox picked out for it. Out of everything that could go horribly wrong, that one I can live with.

That's about it. No CEL for me. It sounds and pulls GREAT. Today holds a car wash, some yardwork then a nice drive with the windows down.
Appreciate 3
AngryBaby344.50
McGary911472.00
LAGWAGN272.00