01-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #149
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
few facts to start:
There's so much garbage in here that I can't honestly take anything typed/copied seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
- reports showed that recharging takes so long that the average speed is close to six - ten miles per hour
Unless that report is issued back long, LONG ago when the only pure plug-in EVs available are the GM EV1 and Tesla Roadster, that number is PURE poppycock. It takes me 3 hours to fully charge from nearly zero mile to ~100 miles range during late spring and early fall, when the temperature in So. Cal is above 70º and below 95º. During REALLY cold days for So Cal, like when it drops down to mid 50º, it takes 3 hours to fully charge from nearly zero miles to 80. So even in the worst case, for me, the charge time is approximately 25 miles per hour.

Quote:
- another thing, for example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.
Looks like another number pulled from @ss. A home level 2 charging system requires 45A, not 75. In fact my level 2 at home is tied to the same circuit that runs the AC. And yes my home is old and wired to only dish out 100A max. I have not had any issues supporting said charging system, and I know of, on my small block, at least another dozen pure plug-in EVs with houses and grid all built long before I was born.

And a 75A level 2 charger would actually charge at approximately 40 miles per hour, so your two statements contradict each other (actually the higher the amp, the more efficient a level 2 charger would be, so I wouldn't surprised if at 75A that same level 2 charger will charge at closer to 50 miles per hour).

Quote:
- the batteries have no range and suffer in cold climates reducing the range and battery life. There are already victims of -30 C seen on the road.
While this statement is not an outright lie, the affects of the cold climate on a battery is way overstated. The primary reason why pure EV range suffers during cold climate is because, unlike internal combustion vehicles, where heat is a by-product of the process, on a pure EV heat is provided by using electricity to drive a heating coil. On cold days, if I don't use the climate control, the impact on range is about 8-10% on a 40º temperature swing. It's 20%+ if I turn on the heater.

Quote:
It seems that you are aware of few facts about the subject which is nice to see, but I believe that you have a generic knowledge about this, which still makes you a victim of propaganda.
At least you're well aware that propaganda is out there to sway people of weak minds one way or another. What you spewed sounds like research that was done 10 years ago to dissuade people from adapting electric propulsion as a means to ease global warming. The TRUTH is, any research can be skewed and presented one way or another to bend it to a certain point of view. Like how Obi-wan considered Darth Vader's ascend as killing Anakin Skywalker.

The TRUTH is, again, the internal combustion process is and have been around for more than a century, and as a process it is far more refined and perfected than electric propulsion. Hence the process to create an ICE driven vehicle is far more efficient RIGHT NOW than a pure EV. But that isn't going to be the case in 5-10 years. Battery tech that can withstand millions of charge cycles, can be charged very quickly, and can hold a much larger amount of charge than current Lithium ION exist today, and will likely be in full production on a larger scale within that 5-10 year time frame that will allow for a higher capacity Lithium ION battery that last longer, don't need to be recycled, and use 1/10th the amount of lithium to delivery the same capacity (see gold nanowire technology. Silicon based nanowire LI batteries are already starting to be in production and will likely be deployed within the next 2-3 years in electronic devices*). And as more and more renewable energy sources come online, the actual impact on carbon footprint for electricity will continue to decrease, where as burning hydrocarbon molecules's effect on green house will not.

The benefit of electric powertrain as a mean of transportation will only improve, so for you to stand here and say progress is evil and status quo is the only way, well, frankly, that's not what got us where we are now as an industrial society. There's simply too much GOOD that CAN come of electric propulsion to let a 100 year old technology stand in the way.

My ONLY gripe in this, is that for the ///M division to say that pure EV will be the way of the future for performance applications, is the reason why I will likely never purchase a new BMW ever again. EV has its benefits, but from a pure performance aspect, nothing beats the use of unadulterated explosion as a way to move around. Now, before you go dig up those Tesla beating M5 on a drag videos, I will say this. Electric motors do deliver all its torque early, quickly, and sustain it for all speeds. From a pure drag racing perspective, spec for spec, electric motors have a huge advantage. But if you're talking about performance application as in like a road course, or performance driving, unless they found a way to bend the laws of physics, you can't drive an EV like you stole it on a moderately sized track with multiple brake zones for more than a handful of laps. I've seen the top end Teslas on a track like Auto Club Speedway, and you can maybe drive it for about 20-25 minutes, then you're off on the parking lot recharging for the next 5 hours. The 250+ mile advertised for some of the newer EVs (Bolt, Tesla Model 3, Tesla X 90/100D, Tesla S 100D etc) won't really last more than 35-40 miles of high speed mountain carving. So for ///M to say this is inevitable, this is the way future Ms will come, well, it just shows to me that BMW doesn't really care about performance in real life (straightline on the other hand...I guess that's about as real world as BMW comes now?) and the "M" really stands only for Marketing, not Motorsports.

*p.s.: I believe Tesla Motors has already started to use some of the innovations discovered in the nanowire battery tech in their current line-up. While nanowire batteries are still a few years off, the use of silicon in lithium ion batteries has already increased capacity 5-10% in current Teslas rolling off the production line. Innovations are happening much quicker in EV technology than ICE technology, by magnitudes. So the attitude that "EVs are not more environmentally friendly NOW than ICEs thus we should not explore it" is pure poppycock.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0