beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
There are increased gains b/c there is a decrease in resistance. What everyone seems to gloss over is that w/the decrease in resistance there is an increase in dirt getting into the engine. The filter's purpose is to filter out the crap and as he showed there isn't a significant difference between a clean and dirty stock filter.

What I rarely see compared is how well each of these filters actually filter. If I remember correctly only Jim Conforti did a comparison like that when he was selling foam filters.

Yes, the K&N is used on race cars (sponsors) but race engines are also torn down, magnafluxed and rebuilt.

Think about it this way. Which filter would you rather use in your HVAC? The one that filters the dust and pollen or the one that lets the HVAC "perform" better?

EDIT: I didn't find the original article but did find this one. BTW, I'm NOT advocating the use of foam filters. They have the same issues but possible to a lesser extent dependent on their efficiency.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...onforti-vs-All

Think about it this way, if you want a complete protection from outside debri(where dust is very big, there are far smaller contaminent) you will need a hepa filter and thats just no good for boost.

You can use HEPA on your HVAC but what happends to the voltage to the motor of the fan? Pressure increse so higher RPM. And still in my buisness that air is polluted/contaminated.

K&N will do fine. There wont be any debrie in normal conditions that can cause damage. First of there are the turbos, and then there is the ignition of fuel.

Just check the size of diesel particles on internet and check your cabin filter - and then start counting on how much disel particles you breath in. Or, just gets absorbed by your skin.

Edit: Also filters and boxes must follow emission and sound regulations where sound is the main goal of filterboxes (for example some engines have resonators on the intake side to keep intake noise down, rb26dett).
Appreciate 0