08-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #82
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
No doubt about it, the Porsche forums are full of the same ‘debates’ that just constantly repeat themselves. Turbo vs NA . . . 718 vs 911 . . . GTS vs GT4 . . . GT4 vs GT3 . . . one individual/group constantly trying to convince themselves and/or others which is ‘BETTER.’

However, the topic of Porsche vs BMW does not exist or - at the VERY LEAST - does not come up in nearly every single thread. Probably because Porsche enthusiasts recognize BMW does not build a chassis that remotely compares with the 718/911 chassis. There is absolutely no value in comparing chassis that are so completely different.

Conversely, nearly every thread on this forum digresses into BMW vs Porsche . . . before completely digressing into the ultimate, ‘well, my BMW has a functional back seat.’ Seriously?! I think 90% of members on this forum just need to go out and buy themselves a Porsche already. If new is not an option, then buy a nicely broken-in CPO model of your choice and get it over with already.

When I bought my M2C I knew I did not need two cars, but I have begun to learn I do not even enjoy owning two cars. It has not equated to ‘twice the fun.’ I feel my 718 CGTS is a superior product when it comes to overall quality and performance. On these two measures, the Porsche offers much ‘MORE.’

However, more does not always equate to better. In fact, when it comes to the Competition vs CS debate, nothing the CS has offer over the Competition is that important to me. I do not even like most of the ‘more’ the CS has to offer. Thus, I just wanted the M2C.

Now, for all of you obsessed and who constantly want to compare your BMW of choice to a Porsche offering, I offer (my) further perspective . . .

Not sure there has ever been a better sellers car market than exists right now. The dealerships are desperate for new and used inventory. Consumers want to buy cars. Between the 718 CGTS and M2C, do you know which one I am not willing to consider parting ways . . . the M2C!

More does not equate to better when it comes to what is best for each individual enthusiast. There is subjectively just something about the M2C that touches all the right nerves for me. The Porsche grass is not always greener when it comes to every individual, even if offering more and perceived as being better. . . the same can be said of the Competition vs CS.

So, will I succumb to the market demands and ‘sell high’ when it comes to my 718 CGTS? Yes, if the right offer comes my direction. Will I consider selling my M2C at this time? Absolutely not!!

///AVM (aka Porsche fanboy)
Haha, I was on the edge of my seat reading this. I thought the M2 was going bye bye, and I was hit with a plot twist. And...it has me that much more excited about allocations coming out. I agree with what you have written. I'm not a "multi" car person, which is why I've agonized over what to get. Knowing I will have to make compromises. I'm glad I'm not the only one that prefers one goto car. I had to talk myself out of getting a 2008ish z4M now that my convertible is leaving.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50