Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Boone

I am curious about this topic.

From an overall power perspective, I cannot imagine the M2C needing anymore power. Even in MDM mode, the wheels are constantly spinning. Requires some attention, but not like I am all over the road. Still, not sure what I would do with anymore power? How much does anyone want to spin the wheels?

I have driven F80/F82 on several occasions but never owned one. Not being my own vehicles, I never drove them like I owned them . . . and do not recall an appreciably significant difference from my M2C experience.

Getting to the point, the one thing I can complain about with the M2C is the early onset of peak power, occurring shortly after 5K RPM. I rarely feel compelled to get beyond of 2nd or 3rd gears and would really enjoy pull to red line like I get with my 718 CGTS.

My understanding is the BootMod3 CS and CS+ tunes are a perfect solution for what I am describing. Really no significant power gains but offer peak power up near red line. I am curious if your described experience with the F80/F82 is related more to where peak power occurs in relation to red line, overall power, or both?

Of note, as much as I am interested in what the BM3 CS and CS+ tunes are claimed to offer, I am not interested in removing my ECU, mailing it out for bench break-in . . . nor the inability to have BMW updates applied without having to repeat process down the road.

///AVM
I think both the M2C and F80 ZCP have plenty of power - I totally agree that neither car needs more on that end.

Coming from a 981 CS, I was frustrated out of the box with how the F80 drove on a daily basis. Take all the obvious differences out (size, mid-engine vs. front, weight, etc.) and my biggest gripe was with how the car hooked up with the road. There just didn't seem to be enough tire in the rear to handle all the oooomph.

I also wasn't a fan of the Super Sport tires that came on the car stock - so when I had worn those out, I moved to the 4S, and with a 295 rear width. This made a world of difference in how the car performed, and allowed that "savagery" to really come out. At that point, I didn't really look at any tunes either.

This is a long winded way of repeating that the newer Ms are severely under-tired. I wonder if the laggy feel or lack of savagery feedback on the M2C can really be traced to that. I never loved the F80, but I enjoyed it much more and appreciated what they were trying to do as soon as I swapped out the rear tires.

In terms of revving it out, my recollection is that the S55 does make peak power closer to the redline than say, the N55 in the OG M2. But it wasn't a car I really revved out all that much. Maybe because of the sound characteristics? I don't really know...by way of comparison, my 981 BGTS isn't nearly as fast as the F80, and is also probably quite a bit slower than the M2C. But I love revving it out, because of the howl and the other sounds that engine and exhaust make. Not sure if that distinction makes sense in terms of your question, but that's how I look at it.