View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #273
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
You are correct in this being less of an issue than I thought. I had not done the actual math and was mentally comparing the 285/30/20 on the M4/comp against a 265/35/19 for the M2 and assumed the total diameter was significantly different. It's only .4" which is hardly anything. I don't know either how offsets etc work out and what people have stuffed into the wheel wells on M2C's without rubbing. I think the snow chain point is a solid one though, and does fit into the additional regulations issue that I was bringing up. I work in a the appliance industry and you'd be shocked sometimes at how difficult it is to do something insanely trivial on something like a fridge or dishwasher because of the implications, time, and cost from regulation. Several of our suppliers are automotive (one of them makes the C8 vette transmission selector for example) and I've had these conversations with other engineers plenty of times.
Ill do you one better, I used to work as an engineer for Nissan. I know what you are talking about, still not convinced something like that was the "real" issue.

Not sure on the snowchain argument as I have never read up on it (dont get enough snow where I live). I could imagine that so long as the winter wheel package is homologated for chains that would be enough to meet that particular requirement.

There is no real point in arguing further. BMW choose the mods to the CS as a compromise of many factors and not as a way to make the CS as fast as possible, that is my only point.