View Single Post
      11-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #63
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Actually the situation is fairly simple... The DME in our cars has to be able to adapt to different fuel density because gas around the world differs a little, and as you know, most of the fuel in the US regardless of state is E10.

You can safely run Exx blends until you hit the limits of your HPFP and you will see reduced timing pull and no loss of power.

With my CA fuel I managed to get up to about E20 with my HPFP and it did improve things but only so that I could use the 91 AKI map, and just barely. More E85 to achieve a higher blend would have helped further, but my HPFP couldn't cope, so I stopped trying and initially switched to the 91 ACN map.

If Exx blends are possible with the standard 91 and 93 AKI OTS BM3 maps, you may be wondering why an E30 map exists at all? The reason for this is that E30 should be a pretty high octane fuel, and that should allow you to run higher timing and boost than the regular maps. The E30 map is effectively a more aggressive map for even high octane than 93 AKI.

Upgrading your HPFP with a stock turbo and US pump gas probably won't get you any benefits at all. If you were to upgrade the HPFP AND add E85, it will allow you to push the stock turbo a little harder, but not much really because it's already at the edge of its efficiency.

Without knowing about the gas in Toronto, one thing I will say is that the 93 AKI
Stage 2 BM3 OTS map is pretty impressive once you've not got timing pull. I saw and felt a pretty significant difference to performance once I added WMI and my timing was corrected.

You might think that I was going for big power by adding WMI, but really all I was trying to do was to get consistent performance from the 93 AKI Stage 2 OTS map, similar to those who actually have decent fuel. I might be able to get a custom map to add further timing and boost now that I'm running WMI, but I'd probably rather go for a Stage 2 turbo next rather than push things too far.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0