View Single Post
      11-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #61
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Not at all too much. I appreciate the information. From what I have found online, Petro Canada's Ultra94 is 101.5 RON which would work out to a MON of 86.5 and a sensitivity of 15. That should mean it's quite good per your analysis, no?

Having said that, it apparently contains up to 10% Ethanol, so perhaps the issues that people are running into are, in fact, fuelling related in line with Anthony1s' post below yours?

Your point is taken that I would need to log in order to figure things out for sure. However, as I am trying to plan out the upgrades to the car it would be great to start eliminating variables in advance rather than having to react to situations as they arise. If the fuel pump upgrade could help make reliable, consistent power, I'd be all for it.
So, if I'm understanding your question correctly... you are asking if an upgraded fuel pump will alleviate any knock issues you might run into due to low octane fuel? And that this is on a M2 without a turbo upgrade. It's a good question.

My armchair scientist knowledge is telling me that it won't be a great solution. Pulling timing is an octane issue, not an issue with fuel starvation. Although, you can retune to dump more fuel into the cylinders... decrease the air:fuel ratio. Then the unburnt fuel will have a slight cooling effect. So in that sense, I think it may work, but it would require a custom tune to add more fuel. It may also come with the negative side effects of running too rich though. Like fouling your spark plugs.

Upgrading the fuel pump is really done to prevent fuel starvation and provide more fuel so a upgraded turbo can run in it's efficiency range.
Appreciate 1