01-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #41
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by apue View Post
Yes, but the difference should be smaller than the gap of the initial driveaway prices.
Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on who is buying your car. If they are a private buyer (potentially less experienced), they could just pay your asking price - without haggling. Then anything is possible.

However, if you were to trade-in to a dealer, a car that is 1-year older (say 2018 build) will fetch considerably less money than another car that is newer, say 2019.

My objective with the original post was to point out that older cars will fetch less money when selling - so negotiate harder.

When I was shopping around, I've had a dealer try to sell me a showroom brand new (20kms on the odometer) that was never registered, but it was a 2018 build. They wanted to sell it to me for $106,000! Maybe I could have negotiated them down to $103,000, but I didn't bother.

Thanks to this forum, we know that a brand new BTO 2020 M2C could be had for say $105,000 OTR. So I would be crazy to buy a 2-year old M2C to save $2,000. That would have been false economy.

The dealers want us to believe that 2018 M2C and 2020 M2C are worth the same money because they have the same specs. That's a fast talking dealer right there! The fact is, older cars are worth less money, even if they are brand new. This is reflected in the price we can fetch when we sell. Even the insurance company will pay out less money on older cars that are written off - even if it is only 1-month old to you, to the insurance company, the car is 2-years old.

Here is a second opinion on this topic.

In addition, if the M2C was a demo (and an old stock), that lowers the value even more. The buyer should be aware and negotiate accordingly.

Quote:
The main benefit to do BTO is I can choose color/option that I want.
Being able to choose the colour and options are nice, but it's also nice to know that it wasn't sitting in the showroom unlocked for a year with 100s of butts getting in-and-out wearing out the seats, scratching the door panels with their shoes, etc. It is also nice to know that the dealer has not started the cold engine and revved it hundreds of times to demonstrate the sound of the exhaust.

Quote:
However, it's not uncommon to see a brand new car is also damaged whilst on transit. They then do a touch up or repair and hand it over to buyers.
That can happen but if the dealer is honest, they would disclose the damaged and allocate a new vehicle to the buyer (more waiting) or offer a generous discount.

Last edited by ///Driver; 01-19-2020 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0