View Single Post
      01-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #35
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Ok, you're just doubled down on the same exact nonsense you have as before. You haven't provided a single thing to prove your point, nor a single thing to counter anything I've brought up. Like I opened with, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 265 on a 9" rim or a 285 on a 10" rim. The problems you attribute to it DO NOT exist.

After reviewing the discussion and my previous responses, I can appreciate your position on the topic and it was our mistake to speak in absolutes. As a performance-focused brand involved in motorsports, we are passionate about offering solutions to track enthusiasts and club racers that optimize wheel and tire configurations to their fullest potential. I can see that I am making some assumptions in regard to how M2 owners here on the forums may be enjoying their vehicles.

If an enthusiast is planning to upgrade their wheels and desires to run wider tire widths, we believe that taking the opportunity to increase wheel width respectively will yield superior results for the reasons mentioned in our last post. It sounds like we share different views on the topic, and that is okay as personal preferences play a big role in how we all modify our cars. Luckily, there are now a fair amount of options for wheel and tire configurations for the M2 & M2C.

You had asked for proof, and I apologize I did not address that request. Our professional recommendations come from 12+ years of researching and developing wheels for a variety of makes and models, more specifically for track and race applications, as well as our direct involvement in various levels of motorsports from sprint races to 25 hour endurance races. As you’ve pointed out, tire manufacturers list a range of tires sizes that are appropriate (safe) for a given wheel width, however, they do not tell you which of those wheel widths is going to yield the best results for a given application. That only comes from experience.

For those that would like to keep the stock wheels in place while increasing tire width, we agree that there is no problem or safety concern with installing 265/285 tires. While the 265’s on a 9” wheel may be a bit wide for our preference, street cars are not pushed to the limits where sidewall support would become an issue or pain point for the driver. 285mm tires mount up to 10” wheels quite nicely, and we recommend it to street customers often.

We appreciate the conversation. It is helpful as a community to debate specific topics in hopes of providing information that can be beneficial to all members.

- Max