View Single Post
      11-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
mctga
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
Yeah, I had mine done when I had a Turbosmart Electronic Diverter Valve installed a few months ago as it is near impossible to do without moving the coolant pipes out of the way.
The place I used just used the BMW Coolant (which is the exact same product as Gysantin G48 silicated hybrid).

From what I remember seeing, they removed the bottom bash plate and dropped what looked like a front sway bar and they could access the water pump/coolant pipe from there.
It wasn't a hard job but seemed easy because it was on a lift.

Mine is an April 16 build. There were no signs of corrosion. I personally wouldn't have changed it until after 5 years, but as it had to get drained to reach the diverter valve, what's the harm in replacing it?
Do remember that a "factory fill for life" for most OEM's is around 7-10 years. It doesn't actually mean "filled for the whole life of the vehicle' which is quite misleading and confusing.
I'm not sure how much coolant they used.

Full disclosure I do this for a living, meaning I'm a product manager for Oil and Chemicals companies, so I have a better idea than most forum users and I've managed BASF/Gysantin, Halterman Carless etc... in the UK, Europe, and Australia.

Also, I highly recommend upgrading the diverter valve with the Turbosmart Kompact EM product, the stock plastic diverter valve leaks boost. Don't waste your time with the GFB DV+, I tried that first because it was cheaper and it destroyed my OEM diverter valve, the Turbosmart one replaces the OEM diverter valve so when it comes time to sell, put the OEM one back on and use the Turbosmart one for the next car.

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing that. My understanding of the process was pretty much as you’ve described. Having access to a lift would make it much easier. When I did the coolant change on my last N55 it was on low profile ramps in my garage and access was tight but just doable. The M2 is lower and access for removing the belly plate is really tight so I think I need some new ramps.

Other than that though it should be pretty straight forward.

As you say, changing coolant at 3 years is on the early side so I’m in no rush but will definitely get it done in the next twelve months. I enjoy wrenching on my cars and I’ve found BMW’s easy to maintain for the home diy’er.

On Glysantin’s website they state 3-4 years life, so less than 7-10 although it will probably be safe a little longer than their recommendation before it becomes too acidic.

Thanks for the heads up on the diverted valve too, sounds worth looking in to!
Appreciate 0