View Single Post
      08-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

This happened to me a few years ago on my 135i. I had noticed that there was oil pooling up on the oil filter housing due to a leaking gasket, $40 part and a couple of hours to replace. I had scheduled an appointment to have this addressed, but in the meantime drove the car. Because the oil filter housing sits right above the serpentine belt, oil dripped onto the belt causing it to slip off the pulley and become shredded. There was some minor damage to the fan and some hoses, but the greatest fear was that parts of the shredded belt could get inside the engine through the main seal. Luckily, this didn't seam to happen as I drove the car for another few years after this happened. But I had to pay for towing and was ultimately out about 4 x as much money to get it all fixed.

I did not know this was also an issue with M2 N55. Nevertheless, I have been trained to keep an eye out for oil leaks and get them addressed immediately. Have not noticed any leaks on my M2, nor does she ever require having to have oil added in between oil changes, thankfully.

What mileage did you have on this car when it happened and did you notice any oil leaks before that could have caused the belt to slip? I would check for damage to radiators, hoses, and fan. Also, check to make sure there are no remnants of the belt remaining that could be pulled into the front main seal. Also check for leaks at the seal.
Appreciate 0