View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #22
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've been to Laguna Seca IRL about a dozen days as well have done THOUSANDS of laps virtual.

Laguna is one of the toughest tracks on brakes I've ever seen. I've managed to fade every single stock brake system using street pads at Laguna. Doesn't matter how many pistons or how big the rotor. I took my Z4 M Coupe to Laguna about 6 months after I got it and I didn't dare use street pads there. It's a recipe for disaster.

Having instructed there about a dozen days with BMW CCA, I can also tell you that I've come across COUNTLESS students who think they can "street pad" or "compromise" for braking for Laguna only to find out that just because it's cool outside, doesn't mean your brakes aren't generating 900ºF+ of heat brake after brake, lap after lap. I can go into detail about how turn 2 (Andretti Hairpin) goes from 125mph down to 30mph in a blink of an eye, or entry into cork-screw is the hardest braking zone in the shortest period of time you'll ever come across because 1) its uphill. If you're off the gas to early and starting the brake well before the crest of the hill, you might as well just park the car, get out for a smoke, then get back in and coast down the corkscrew and 2) you can't POSSIBLY be braking in a straight line there and still manage to hit your entry, apex, AND exit. Or how turn 11 is the THIRD heavy 100+ down to 30mph brake zone almost immediately followed by, you guess it. Andretti Hairpin.

So even though I tell you don't elf with the tires? Well...For Laguna you'd want to make sure your brakes are up to snuff. High temp brake fluid is a MUST. Trackpads if you can.

HAVING SAID THAT.

It's coming up on nearly 20 years since I started doing this, and this is what I've observed in the last two decades. I'm copying and pasting from another forum which I've broken it down like this:

Of course, you can't buy brake pads used...Or can you?
Thanks for the advice. Definitely upgrading pads and fluid. And about going crazy on upgrading or modding, going to see how things go before going further with mods/parts.