06-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #789
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Do you wonder what the car sounds like with ASD disabled?

Drive in comfort. AFAIK ASD is totally disabled in comfort.

Yeah, the exhaust flap opens differently so in sport/sport+ the exhaust note and burbles will make the car sound a bit more in certain situations. But for testing what a disabled ASD does... just drive in comfort mode and it's turned off.
I am not sure if the above is true or not, but I just installed the Technicpnp ASD by-pass on my 2020 M2C yesterday and I was amazed at the difference in all modes.

First let me say I installed it because I believe (IMHO) manufactures pumping fake sounds into the car to make it sound good is BS. If you want your car to sound good then build it to sound good.

I really didn't think I would be able to notice any difference. After the install I drove in all modes, around town and on the highway. I accelerated hard and drove normal. The car is stupid quiet inside now! I honestly don't know if I like it. It takes all the engine, exhaust sounds out of the car. With the windows up I can hardly hear the engine, any burbles or exhaust sound. I find myself revving the engine higher and holding lower gears at higher speed because you can hardly hear the engine now! I was perfectly happy with the stock exhaust before, now after installing a $55 part, I think I need to spend thousands on an exhaust. I am going to drive it for a month or so and see if it grows on me because I still think it is BS to have fake sounds in the car, but at the same time I am amazed how much of the driving experience has been removed with it!!!

Positives:
- Easy install, 20 minutes from start to test drive.
- You can easily talk to a passenger now.
- The stereo does not need to be turned up as much.

This is just my opinion and review of the part.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0