View Single Post
      07-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #10
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elganja View Post
I know there are several threads talking about tire pressure -- but most reference just 1 pressure which I assume is overall

I have been running 2psi less in my rear (both cold and hot):

Starting:
- 28psi front
- 26psi rear

Hot Pressure:
- 34psi front
- 32psi rear

Was curious what others were doing -- the hot pressures in the front gets me right at the △ on the tires, with the rears close to it (rears and lower than 32 hot, the balance is thrown off too much for my driving style)
My experience on this tire has led me to believe that 35-36psi hot is a good target, but it's possible it may be slightly higher or lower depending on vehicle load and suspension settings. Adjusting tire pressures to achieve a certain handling characteristic should be a last resort—after exhausting the other tuning methods that may be available to you. If you don't have any adjustments other than tire pressure, so be it, but you really don't want to go too far off the tire's ideal pressure either.

BTW, our camber settings are very similar—I run -3.2º front / -2.3º rear. I wish I'd taken photos of my last set when they came off the car.

This post has some good general info on tires—especially the attached docs from Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
I've been running RE71R for several years and just got RE71RS. I like the RS and hope they wear as well as the R's. The R's liked 28-29psi hot and I've liked the RS closer to 30-31psi hot. I run 265s all around so same at each corner. I find the lower pressure wears more evenly across the tread, doesn't eat up too much sidewall and just feels better, which is THE most important gauge IMO.
BTW, I'm been tracking cars for >24 years.
I disagree with this from my personal experience. I also feel that if you're targeting 30 psi hot, that's a starting pressure of 22-23psi which is very low for a car of this weight and could result in poor wear or damage to the tire. See that post above that shows the RE-71RS having wear issues due to lack of camber and too low cold pressures.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2313.50