View Single Post
      09-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #11
Manco
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Studded Hakkipalittas. There is no substitute. The improvement over unstudded winter tires is about as much as the gap between all-seasons and winter tires.

I run them on my winter 228x (F22 version, not that FWD Cooper knockoff). The studs have a suspension system so they retract on dry pavement - dry traction is comparable to other dedicated snow tires (cornering and braking, but I don't think I've ever had them to threshold/ABS on dry pavement). But on ice they are worlds better. I've gotten 4 seasons with only 2 studs lost, most still with some of the grip-tips left (and with 2 light seasons of not as much snow as usual, so I assume higher wear on them); will be repolacing them this winter. We get a fair amount of patchy black ice, and you don't get the option to stop and put on chains for that - coincidentally got an ice storm the day I first installed them, and on the short drive home I passed 2 cars spun into the guardrail, one of them a state trooper.

Only drawback is the performance sound (I kind of like it, and it gets pedestrians to scoot out of your way a little faster at crosswalks). And you probably can't get the exact correct sizes - go a little narrower rather than wider.
What dimensions are you running?
Appreciate 0