View Single Post
      11-19-2016, 04:19 AM   #85
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ_87 View Post
That's exactly the same reason I am considering this (although I have no track car too!). I've never modified my suspension before and so when I read general articles about lowering springs vs coil overs, its always this big warning about using lowering springs...harsher ride, wearing out dampers faster, etc. On a mild drop, are those concerns somewhat insignificant? Also, is a 4 wheel alignment needed following an install of something like the Eibach's? Thanks
I am engineer and I was very skeptical to modify suspension with lowering springs.
There were several arguments why I did modify my M3 e46 with Eibach ProKit (minus 0.8 inch on both axels):
- Eibach are only little harsher than stock (less than 20%). At least the rear spring is slightly progressiv to be more compliant (as it is with the Eibach springs for the M2)
- Given that stock dampers are already harsher with real Ms, it's a near perfect harmony of dampers and springs (in my opinion with M3 E46). I would never do a 1.2 to 1.5 inch drop with a standard BMW suspension setup as the ride would be bouncy due to far too stiff springs with rel. soft dampers.
- No additional wear of dampers (I still ride my stock dampers on my M3 E46 with 80000 miles and dampers are still good)
- Dampers with enough travel for lowering springs
- With the M2 (even if cost would be no issue) I would prefer Eibach with stock dampers over M2 Perf. Coilover for 98 to 100% STREET DRIVING as off. M2 coilovers (springs) are said to be 40% harsher than stock.
- Current adaptive damper systems are based on FIXED springs rates with variabel damping (either fix mode settings or actively adjusted based on driving conditions). Considering that spring rates are fixed, this is far more questionnable than a very slight change in spring rates with the Eibachs.
- Front camber change is little (still within factory settings / as I prefer to drive corners hard I would appreciate fare more camber) with the moderate drop. All other alignment parameters can be adjusted but it is not a necessity as change is also very little.
- AC Schnitzer, a (if not the most) respectable/reputable BMW tuner in Germany is using these Eibach springs (co-branding / techn. identical) for their stage 1 suspension modification (.. and not H&R and not KW..)

Last edited by mmmpassion; 11-20-2016 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4188.50