08-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
First of all the impression is from Autocar's on artists. and not representive of BMW.

Secondly the car will not be launched next year because we have not even commenced full prototype testing and that takes two years especially now with our indepth development and testing programme.

And thirdly BMW chose to go the direction because our home market in Europe will be introducing stricter legislation further down the line.
In Europe BMW sell more 3er than any other country. The 3er makes up not only larger consumer sales but government fleets , Police Fleets and business fleets. all use the BMW 320d. Not significant to the USA but BMW has other purposes outside of the USA that are more relevant to Europeans.

BMW has not lost it's focus or it's direction. It is a company that is adapting to the times and whilst the progressive increase with Efficient Dynamics being spread throughout the BMW Portfolio including the M Division.
A BMW will still remain a BMW.

I am sorry but who are you? The new F20 BMW 1er prototypes are currently testing prototype 3 cylinder engines.
Good to hear from you, Scott...I agree with what you are saying, but I just feel like there is way too much Efficient Dynamics stuff going on. The 3er might sell the most in Europe, but the US is BMW's biggest market. US customers aren't going to look favorably upon a 3-cylinder engine, FI or not. Its just not the 3-series character IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Cayenne, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne Hybride, Panamera, you call this loyal to it's traditions? Turbo engines as in the Cayenne Turbo, 911 Turbo and GT2, you call this loyal? And it is not all, wait until Porsche builds it's entry level car based on the Golf VI or the Sirocco, it may even be FWD. But in one way you are right, the 911 is very loyal to it's design, it hasn't changed since the first and is not ready to change.

I am sur of that. BMW will stay more BMW than Porsche will stay Porsche. And yet Porsche now belongs to VW so it is even worse.
+1, and thank you for calling that guy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Looks like a Chrysler Sebring...LOL

BMWs are not supposed to be the run of the mill economy car. BMWs are supposed to be geared to a different market....a market that appreciates luxury, power and a brand that has heritage. Maybe they should create another brand under the BMW umbrella that focuses on such cars (i.e., Scion and Toyota). If I wanted an electric car, I'll get a FKNG Prius!

What's next? Ditching the ///M for an ///E? Gimme a break!

-SZ
That's where people at BMW are missing the point...they are doing what everybody else is doing. BMW is supposed to be special. They're not supposed to be the ones that are taking the run of the mill approach. And that is how I feel about them lately with the withdrawal from F1, M models of the X5 and X6, etc. The brand is becoming diluted.

I read about the MINI E line...not a bad idea. I have also heard that BMW is planning another sub-brand of cars. i really think they should be careful about what gets the BMW roundel and what doesn't. Pretty soon they'll be using efficient dynamics on M cars!