Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
Does BMW require Dinan equipment to be installed by a Dinan dealer for warranty purposes? Or, can I DIY this and keep my warranty?
You can install yourself or have a non-Dinan dealer do the install and still retain the warranty. The caveat, as always, is that the installation woul dnot be covered so if somethign were to arise as a result of improper installation it would not be covered under warranty.

Also, the turbo itself requires requires factory-level tools such as BMW ISTA (or equivalent) to adjust wastegate for proper operation so that part of it is NOT a DIY task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
Can the intake and intercooler be installed without a tune? Will it increase turbo lag? I will eventually get the turbos and tune as well, but I want to spend sometime on the track with stock power first. It would be great if I can run the intake and intercooler first without the tune for a few months and then have the turbos and tune installed. I am just worried about turbo lag.
Yes they can be installed without a tune. Will get a bit more noise from the intake and perhaps a very small improvement in throttle response. The intercooler will still keep temps down and offer a bit of power as well. Turbo lag should not be affected at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
So what happens if one does only the big turbo by itself? TIA!
The system gets hot and you will be in limp mode / heat soak more often then not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Finally it's out. Epic build!

BTW, am I reading it correct from the graph that big turbo spools even faster than stock?
What's going on below 2500rpm then?
We typically start at 2500 RPM just because of inconsistencies in the lower register when doing dyno passes. The jist is below for a few of the data point though.

Stock TRQ HP
1750 366 122
2000 371 141
2250 383 164

Stage 4
Dinan TRQ HP
1750 421 140
2000 405 154
2250 420 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Would I get most of the gains from just the turbo and intercooler? I have the M Performance exhaust and really like its sound

EDIT: and tune, obviously
The exhaust and intake are recommended but not required. The bulk of the gains are basically from the intercooler, turbo and tune. I would still look hard at the exhaust though even if you have the M-performance one... it sounds soooooo good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Dinan, what are you quoting on install cost for the turbo, tune, and intercooler??
Quote in hours as labor rates are all over the place across the country.

Tune: 1.5 hours
Exhaust: 1.2 hours
Resonator Delete: 1.2 hours
Intake: 1 hour
Intercooler: 4.5 hours
Turbo: 5 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
How much would a dealership charge to install this? I have cash in hand ready to throw at my local dinan dealership but I was wondering what installation would cost. (and I'd assume warranty only works if they install it)
See above response and also first response in this post about the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
I have the same question. Is the warranty maintained only when installed by a certified dinan dealer? Or can I DIY?
See 2 responses above and first response in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Dinan, can your tune take advantage of supplemental fuel?? For example e85 or having a port injection setup?
We do not tune for supplemental fuel. If you are going that route you probably will want to go with another tuning solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
Many Dinan parts, especially those linked to your VIN, require installation by their authorized dealers.
Again, not true. While we would prefer things to be installed at an authorized dealer as its a known factor and relationships are pre-existing it is not a requirement to maintain warranty. The caveat as stated above is that we would not be able to guarantee labor at a non-dealer however so there is an element of a gray area introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Only when installed by a Dinan Dealer, of course...
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
What is the main difference in the 11.5 hour quote for the M235i vs the 5 hour for the M2?
M235i RWD and M2 (RWD) are both 5 hour quoted install times. The xDrive variants don't have an installation shortcut unfortunately so they require quite a bit more time and finesse hence the bigger install time on those models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
So, how much would the installation costs on this be roughly?
See a couple responses above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
What about turbo lag? It's already an issue in this car stock right?
Ive' never noticed any meaningful turbo lag on the car in either stock or tuned formats.
What needs to be adjusted on the wastegate? Is this done after the turbo is installed or on the bench like the N54 turbos were done?