View Single Post
      01-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #113
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
But with the facts we have just now, which car had the faster laptime at Magny Cours in this specific case? In this specific video with this driver?
Why is one car positioned above the other one if they're equally fast?

Cheers
Robin
I think the part we are hung up on is generalization. There are two conclusions that are widely acceptable from the OP, let's be specific:

1) The editorial in the OP shows that given their testing methodology, the m2c was 2ms faster than the m3 zcp around that circuit.
2) It's unclear that the m2c is actually faster than the m3 zcp or whether the result is just by chance.

Both 1 and 2 can be true simultaneously. Aka that is the case here. For proof of 1, please see OP. For proof of 2, perform hypothesis test. We can conclude both 1 and 2 from the data we have.

So for instance, lets say you and I play a game of basketball one on one, and I beat you. Does this mean that I am better at basketball than you?

No, it doesn't. It means I beat you at one game of one on one.

So then what if we play 500 games, and you win the vast majority of games, does that make you a better one on one basketball player than me?

Most likely yes, we could say that there is evidence to prove that you are better than me at basketball and that your winning results are not luck (aka not by chance).
Back to the car scenario, a 2ms difference is not enough to determine that the result of the OP is not due to chance. Hence 1 and 2 are simultaneously true.

Last edited by jlhymb; 01-22-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1