///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I currently have 2 BMW's, a Tesla, and a GMC truck. (I also have a reservation on an i8 Spyder allocation). There is no need to be "one type" of family or another. You can be both!

True car folks appreciate cars for what they are. You don't have to hate Tesla's because your a BMW fan! I find some really good things about all my vehicles (yes, even the GMC - which is a diesel!)

We use our Tesla as a daily driver. Plug it in every night. We had a Chevy volt for 4 or 5 years (ran it almost entirely on electric). We have NEVER had to use a public charger on any of our electric cars.

I have gas/diesel cars for longer trips. I believe most families in the U.S. have multiple cars. You don't have to say no to electric just because it doesn't meet ALL of your possible driving needs. Its quite possible to be a 2 car family. ICE for long trips, Electric for daily driver.

I completely agree about having to stop to charge the Tesla on long trips. The only way I'm going to do that is just for the fun/challenge of it. Electric works best if you can just plug it in and charge it every night. Maybe also if you had a charger at work... I think statistics indicate over 70% of electric car owners just charge them at home...

The Chevy Volt (48 mi range) worked for us as an electric car since my Wife and I work together and live fairly close to the office. Cars with 250+ Mile range (like the Tesla Models) really bring this well into the daily driving requirements of many more drivers and families. BMW needs to provide this level of range to be competitive. Tesla had over 400,000 PAID ($1K) reservations for their new model 3 a YEAR before it even went on sale!

250+ miles of range can make an electric vehicle practical for many people. 500+ mile range and I might even consider using it for longer trips and stopping to charge up. Quick replacement battery packs could also make this a reality (even for vehicles with shorter ranges). There was a fleet of Taxis in Tokyo which rolled into a charging station and robotics would swap out a battery pack underneath the cars - even faster then they could fill a tank of gas!

Folks don't have to dislike Electric Cars just because they currently drive a vehicle with an internal combustion engine! Unfortunately, many people appear to see this new technology somewhat of a threat... Some folks are downright hostile about electric cars!

Not a threat at all. In some ways/uses, impractical for many. I prefer hearing an engine start, rev and roar when put under pressure with my right foot (which is probably why I like but don't love my GC with it's 2L.) The aural part is a big piece of it. Quick and silent doesn't do it for me currently, even if a Tesla whips on most of the super cars in a 60mph or so sprint. I think it'll be interesting when all these electrics batteries are done; the disposal is going to be interesting to see for sure when the numbers catch up with the sales occurring.
Yup. The batteries have a Yuge carbon footprint
Appreciate 1