11-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #121
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
Please educate me here, timing loss= limp mode/easy fix?

Someone here experienced engine/tranny replacement on M2C DCT while cruising due to SCH.
If the slip is minor and the crank position sensor catches it in time and triggers a limp mode yes to an extent. Adjusting timing is easy if you have the super expensive BMW tools and the know how, otherwise it'll probably be pretty expensive for a shop to do it.

If it slips too aggressively and the pistons hits the head worst case scenario you'll need a new motor, best case scenario just a new valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
There are a ton of threads about this on the F80 forum. I had a 2016 M4 Comp (had it for 21K miles and 10+ track days) before my M2C so I have been following almost every single source on this issue for the past 2-3 years. After all this research, my previous post sums up what I concluded so far. As I said, in almost every SCH case, you can re-time the engine be done with it. If you look at the F80 forum or BM3 Facebook group etc, almost all of the people who experienced a SCH were able to save their engines. In fact, that's when many people upgrade to a keyed hub. You can contact any major vendors on this forum as well, such as AutoTalent, SSR Performance, EAS etc. and ask them how many SCH cases they have seen and were able to just upgrade the hub after the failure. I'm not saying catastrophic engine failure is impossible with SCH. I just think it's very very unlikely. Spending $3K-$4K on something that is very unlikely to happen doesn't make much sense to me. Again, CBC only cost me ~$550 out the door and I'm not planning to spend anything more unless I have to. Long story short, I'm not an expert and do your research before making an important decision based on a single post like mine or someone else's.
+1

You can also get a kick down blocker to stop kick downs as well to help alleviate the possibility of spinning the hub.