View Single Post
      10-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #29
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
BMW will not have 100% accurate data of which cars failed and why. Trust me I have been the engineer responsible for similar things at different companies and the data we get back from the field is usually pants unless management wants a full investigation into a topic. Even then you are dependent on competent diagnosis and people going back to BMW and not their independent shop.

If BMW does not just use a table to design the bolted joint then I agree with you that they will have some kind of probability distribution of the bolted joint pre-load and friction force and hence how many are prone to failure.

I remember testing cylinder head joints and being surprised how great the preload spread could be between the same style of bolts, torqued by the same guy, in the same way.
Interesting read. Thanks.
I wish we had some kind of analysis showing the designed/intended load on the hub and the calculated safety factor.
As an engineer, I’m sure you are aware of how many anomalies you see in the field that just doesn’t make sense.
Appreciate 0