View Single Post
      08-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Both should produce downforce but would guess the 235 can produce more. It looks like the performance one is fixed - so you pretty much get what you get there. The 235 is adjustable- can raise or lower the angle of attack for your desired amount of downforce - and drag. The uprights are also taller - in theory put it into cleaner air letting it be more effective. Shape of the wing looks the same, end plates are different. The style of end plate on the 235 looks more in line with more “race” oriented wings. Not sure how much that makes a difference.

A couple things to consider are balance and drag. Adding downforce to the rear is usually combined with additional aero on the front. Being able to adjust the rear wing can be nice to find a balance between the two. Drag also comes into play. How efficient the wing is at producing downforce is important & something to look into as well.

It also looks like bmw expects more downforce out of the 235 wing based on their recommendation to reinforce the trunk - or buy their already reinforced one. That is not specifically noted for the performance wing.

I’ve actually been looking for a wing for my M2 as well. I’ve been talking with ind about the 235ir wing too and plan to pull the trigger tomorrow. It’s kind of stupid money but to me it is the best looking wing (if I’m going to be that guy that sports a wing on the street this one looks the least DB to me) - that looks like it will also perform on the track. Without any CFD data it’s hard to say how it compares to other wings though - but would think bmw was satisfied enough with it to put on the M235ir. To me the performance wing is mainly a looks thing.

APR has a few options but I don’t think anything specific for the M2. Nine lives racing has one that is very efficient based on their data but also not sure if they have a specific application for this platform. Might also check with bimmerworld - they might can offer some good advice on a full aero setup including the wing.
This is timely. I recently brought my car to 9 lives racing to use for computer modeling for an M2 wing and splitter. It's a small, local shop that seems to have a great understanding of aero. They make and test all their products here in Atlanta. I have been "building " and tracking my car over the past 2.5 years and have seen a steady improvement in all aspects including lap times. My car is virtually the only real street car in TT3/4 and is also one of the few without a big ass Wang. I have been following this and other forums and have concluded,as has the OP, that most of these bolt ones are just cosmetic. While many shops , like Sneed for Speed have lab tested aero for E36/46/92, no one has really stepped up for our cars with good wind tunnel data. Good aero is well worth the price, bad aero can wreck you....so I am still on the fence. By the end of the year I will probably test the 9LR aero, unless something better comes along.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50