View Single Post
      08-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by schembree View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm ordering some Porterfield R4-S pads and I was lucky to get a car with Pilot Sport Cup 2's. SchnellFest is listed as a beginner to advanced track day, so I'm thinking there'll be instructors out there.
Yeah they will have instructors - they wouldn't let you on the track without one as a beginner. You typically have to get a check ride to qualify for solo & then checks for each time you advance groups.

I have no experience with Porterfield pads - is the R4-S a street pad? Not saying it won't work if it is - just to keep in mind that cota is hard on brakes (and temps overall). You'll get into some pretty decent speed in an M2C, fade can be a concern. Also I'm assuming you will be running with either full DSC on or at least in MDM. Depending on how much you trip the DSC can also add extra heat to the brakes. Continuous corner exit oversteer in particular can add a lot of heat to the fronts. Plus using a somewhat sticky tire. If you see that the traction control is kicking in a decent amount - certainly want to try to smooth it out a bit but also might be a good idea to do a quick brake check in advance of the heavier braking zones.

On the tires it can actually kind of be a bit counterintuitive. Grippy sounds like it would be better as a beginner cause you won't be sliding all over the place, but that's not really the case. As a beginner it actually can be easier to start on more street orientated tires. They typically give more warning before they break away - and typically can be easier to bring back under control after they break loose. Part of the process is finding the limits - and learning how to control it when you get there and when you go past the limit. Less grippy tires also mean that limit will be lower - so this all happens at a slower speed - typically safer approach. Plus they will usually last quite a bit longer.

That being said it's not like Cup2's are full on race slicks, you shouldn't have a problem with them. Running with DSC should keep them in line too. Just more a heads up on the value that a higher treadware tire can have. Also without camber plates you could wear the cup2's out pretty fast out there. If it is wet watch out for standing water too.

Mindset out there is key to progress. Awareness & safety before speed. Focus on picking up all the flag stations. Might read up on the different flags too. Some of the vids of COTA hot laps can show where the flag stations typically are during an HPDE - but those can always change.

I took a car control / skid class at Driveway Austin last year. It was absolutely awesome. Was a tremendous help as I started out on the track. Worth every dollar imo if you find you enjoy the track.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50