View Single Post
      08-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy36 View Post
This is my first full year of tracking a car. Learning a ton. One thing I've asked folks at events is when you know it's time to replace the rotors. I've gotten a wide variety of answers. Hoping someone here can help. I'm 10 days so far on my M2C running Pagid Yellow RS29's. Starting to notice cracks around the cross drilled points on the face of the rotors.

Secondarily have people noticed increased wear based upon pad choice.
Seeing small cracking is normal, as mentioned. Below is a great article, which the same can be said for the M2C brakes.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/13/n...-brake-system/

This being your first year tracking your car you will most likely give your brakes the most punishment. The Pagid RS29 is a great pad although are known to be a little rougher on rotors. The two biggest things that will cause you to wear and abuse rotors at this point is your braking technique and traction control. In short, as you learn, and at some point run with DSC Off your brakes will stay much cooler and not wear, etc. like they will now. Heat is the killer.

I suggest letting a performance shop or BMW dealer help you determine when the replace the rotors, at this point. There is not one answer as there are so many variables at play:

1 - Drivers braking technique - most important
2 - DSC On or Off - On will heat the brakes up much faster, as you start driving faster. It will first cause the rear pads and rotors to heat up fast and wear fast. When you run with DCS Off your fronts will wear twice as fast as the rear pads, general speaking. Don't rush turning it off if you still run with it on.
3 - Pads - which pads, when were they installed, mixing of pad materials, etc. It is best to run a single pad type per set of rotors. Switching of OEM pads back and forth with after market can create mixing of compounds which can create issues (ie bad vibrations, over heating, etc.)
4 - Tracks that you are driving on - some are much tougher on brakes then others

Personally, I was able to get about 25 track days in on my front rotors last year. Still have the same rear rotors on, about 10 (4 x sessions per day) days in this year so far, four different tracks. I drive with DSC Off.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by M2joey; 08-01-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50