06-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #76
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Actual prices were typically a little over $100k, including tax and delivery. I do live here, you know. Here's a 2012 car with 40,000km on the clock for $67,000, close to half of the original purchase price and close to $50k (cheapest is $63k). The $80k cars have been up for sale for ages, with no takers.

What you don't understand is that until recently, they were selling for close to and often above MSRP. The market value for them seems to be descending precipitously and there are a lot more up for sale recently. By Christmas this year, I predict you will be able to get one below $60k, you probably could now, considering I spoke to people who were quite willing to negotiate on their sale price.

By comparison we got a lot more e90 M3s and a comparable car (milage wise, and 1 year older) is going for $82,000. Rarity tends to be a modifier, rather than a predictor of future value.
Why include tax and delivery? Nobody includes that stuff when comparing prices since all car purchases have it. I was talking just MSRP. Also, I'm not sure what your point is with your 2012 example... 40000km is not a low mileage car as you previously mentioned and $62k is still more than 20% higher than half of the original price... You make it sound like there are tons of them out there. Seems like you just contradict yourself. Your predictions on future prices are irrelevant too unless you're a professional speculator.
Appreciate 0