05-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #29
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
This is from the BMW dealership. Any similar third party workshops here that can keep the factory warranty?
I had a debate with my dealership about this as I suggested their price for the MPE was way too high and I would get it through a 3rd party. They implied this may void the warranty. When I challenged this asking how can installation of a genuine OEM BMW ex-factory part by a qualified mechanic cause an issue with warranty they back tracked and said it probably won't but I should check with BMW Aus.

I called their bluff and emailed BMW directly. To cut it short, the eventual answer from BMW was that it wouldn't as long as it was installed as per BMW instructions.

They did note that an exhaust coming from a 3rd party may not be compliant with ADR though. It seems that the LCI is going to be getting the new part number which is the one with red button. As I pointed out, and they agreed, that's a compliance issue that has no impact on warranty and is entirely my business.

As an aside, I asked both if a non BMW exhaust would cause warranty issues, other than obviously just the exhaust not being covered, to see what they said. Neither would be drawn on answering that which suggests to me they know it won't. If they had a leg to stand on they would have told me.
Appreciate 1