View Single Post
      02-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I don't get the sense that the driving experience will be that much different. It will be nice to have a smaller more agile car, but the difference will be marginal in the grand scheme of things. I've even seen a few reviews that claim the M3/M4 still feels sharper or "racier" than the M2.

And how could it really be that different, think about it, it's smaller but the overall mass (weight) is basically the same. And it's effectively the same suspension. Let's not kid ourselves here.

The bigger takeaway for me from the reviews is that the $14k premium isn't worth it, because the cars really are so similar. And also an applaud to BMW for keeping things simple and offering less options and gizmos. However, if you can get them for free, why not?
Drive the M2 and see. The clear majority of the reviews I've read do in fact point immediately to a significant, non-"marginal" difference in the driving experiences offered by the two cars. I have indeed thought about it, and the wheelbase differences alone are enough for me to believe what I am reading.

You can believe the authors of those reviews are "kidding themselves," and I can believe otherwise. But what will tell the tale is getting behind the wheel of an M2. I've been behind the wheel of an M4. I'm waiting, and it's not because of price.

As for free "gizmos," that offers little to no attraction to me. Chapman had it right, at least for a true sports car you intend to drive as one--"Simplify, and add lightness." The M2 didn't add much lightness, but it is simpler. I like that. At least on paper. We'll see.
Appreciate 0