11-26-2021, 02:24 AM   #253
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Got it. Give it a bit of stick at 180 to get it to 200, then I can work her over. Perfect.

My commute is 8.8 miles (14 minutes), so I never actually use the heat, I rely on the heated steering wheel, and heated seat (temps rarely get below freezing in my garage at home, so the car isn't that cold). On the return trip the car is obviously much colder, but I always let it run for a few minutes before I take off. I know a lot of guys don't like to do this, but it doesn't bother me to do so). I still don't use the heat in that 8.8 miles. I only use heat when it's hot, and it doesn't get hot in that short of a distance. I also remember the old trick years ago when a car was overheating to turn on the heater full blast to cool it down.

I have the N55, and just bought 15 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 for a great deal. It was on the recommendation of several guys here, you included. I think it'll work perfectly.

Thanks for the detailed reply!!

warm up in comfort mode it gets oil temps up faster because it uses a less agressive cooling profile. Like you, when I am in sport+ my oil temps stay stuck at 94C or ~200F. So I warm up my oil temps in comfort to get them to spike rapidly, and it will even reach 100C in this mode.

But I do idle my car, sure you may get fuel dilution but coming from cars with built engines or fragile pistons, if you don't let the car warm up properly you end up experiencing premature wear and tear. I'm sure with the cast hypereutectic pistons you won't have the crazy expansion and contraction forged pistons do, but I always let it warm up to 42C (probably a few mins of idling) a bit just to ensure we aren't asking too much of the rod bearings since rpms do hit 3k when I drive otherwise 1st gear is way too slow in a 6speed if I short shift it.
VisualEcho6636.50