View Single Post
      01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #152
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Well the car started developing all the symptoms of a blown head gasket late last year, so I started a tear down last week to replace it, o-ring the block for more boost, add in arp2000 studs and reinstall everything.

Also pulled the tranny and driveshaft, having the tranny rebuilt a bit for better shifting and new guibo. pulling the clutch and flywheel to replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket, do a oil pump nut fix, etc. New stainless brake lines as well.

Once its all back together after the head is back from the machine shop it will be time for one more piece of custom charge pipe with a new BOV, then install the meth kit and get ready for tuning. Lots to do and not much time!!!

==========================

Tear down beginning

Hey guys,
my MLS from the original TT stg II kit seemed to let go somewhere in the cyl 5 or 6 area...not sure yet, we'll see.

I'm going to keep this thread active to post questions etc on my progress, i'm sure I'll have many!

Started tonight on the tear down and made some pretty good progress! This is starting to get more routine on this car for me which is nice. I'm about to venture into new territory for me so this will get interesting.

Using my little waterprooof digi instead of my big Nikon so the pics are not nearly as clear , I'll bring the Nikon for the next work session.

Exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe w/ wastegate are out. as you can see the car has leaking/weeping oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Both will be addressed before the car is back on the road. Also going to pull the tranny and rebuild the shift pins, I believe they are causing the tranny to feel really sloppy while in gear.

exhaust mani

dont see any leaks on these gaskets but the damned wastegate pipe is leaking again. I'll have both flanges decked when the head is decked to assure a clean/flat surface.

Turbo is out

Coolant leaking at cyl 6

getting ready for the top end tear down....best work light ever :buttrock

Valve cover is off, things look good up here to me but i'm no expert. No sludge or metal shavings. There is a little wear on the cam lobes but doesnt look bad to me for 86k miles....what do you think??

s52 intake mani is off thank god, what a mess!!!

Intake on cyl 5 and 6

cyl 6

some sludge from excessive turbo oil blow by....blown seals ftl

where I left it for tonight, vanos cover ready to come off and timing going to be locked in....this is where the new territory starts for me :eyecrazy