Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
you'll have to dumb that down for me
Alan Turing was a computer scientist that focused on developing tests to determine whether something was a person or a machine. I invented my own test for spambots in this forum's features.

SEO (search engine optimization) is a sleazy business, where people try to "cheat" the rankings of web crawlers like Google by plastering links to a particular web site or business all over the Internet...to make that link seem more popular than it is. Search engines factor in the number of links to a site when determining what sites are displayed first in a web search.

Retro-posting spambots will post vague/gibberish posts on active threads with high search engine rankings, sometimes waking up ancient treads (necro-posting). They are marking that space in the thread, to come back to it days/weeks later when it is several pages old and edit it to put in their SEO link when nobody is looking.

Long story short, both of those "curry" posters in this thread have failed my Turing test. The forum's rules of engagement for spambots prevent users from being cut off until they actually spam, so there's not much that we as users can do until they come back and edit those placeholder posts in the future.....