Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The dealer is not going to work on a vehicle with an aftermarket downpipe; for one it's illegal to alter a smog control device, which is a arrestable offense in CA and also they are not going to take on the liability of installing a part not approved for the vehicle from the manufacture, especially a federally mandated part.

A customer with such mods is not work the hassle and I don't blame them.
This is probably accurate. There's no reason to work on illegal mods, it only exposes the dealer to potential problems, with no upside. It's why I won't put a downpipe on my car, not worth voiding a powertrain warranty. Regardless of whether it actually affects your engine, the dealer will say it does and you're going to spend far more money on an expert engineer, attorney, and, likely, arbitration costs than to purchase a new engine.

In theory dealers/manufacturers can't void your warranty purely due to aftermarket parts. In reality, you can't afford to fight them.
Same here, I almost drunk-ordered a FS downpipe so many times but something ironic kept turning over in my mind beside all the other possible negatives; If the downpipe doesn't cause a CEL, that means that there is really no benefit over stock, so no power gains anyways.

"High flow" cats that are actually flowing at a higher rate than stock cats should trigger a CEL. Why even bother half risking it all for questionable gains.. :

The only real solution if you're going after more power is a balls-out catless DP with a tune to disable the emissions check.. At least then you know exactly what you're getting yourself into without some wary assurances..
Appreciate 1