I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I thought my service dealer was taking my car out for too many miles as well (based on the paperwork showing in/out).

Turns out the in comes from the key they take from your car and is often wrong (it can be what it was when you started the car - any chance you are like 20 miles from the dealer?)

So for me, they were not joyriding the car, just a nice glitch in the system.

And for you, I would bet that had to be disconnected for whatever they had to do.
Quoting this to emphasize it. I had the same thing happen at my last service and I noticed it during the check-in paperwork. They "read your key" to get the car mileage for service in, but it seems like the mileage is not pushed into the key at every start/stop cycle.

It made my mileage in/out discrepancy look really wide as well, but it's because the in had been read too low, rather than the dealer actually driving the car a bunch.

And yeah, when they update any module in the car, it's SOP to unplug power consumers from 12V sockets. They put the car on a super-fancy charger during the flash process, and they don't want anything extra trying to draw power. Realistically, something like a dash cam or radar detector shouldn't draw enough to matter, but that's their procedure. Once I get my dash cam hardwired in, I plan on leaving it on (to make sure they aren't being naughty), but my hardwired radar and lidar gear I always power off before handing over the car.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0