United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
"Wireless" Apple CarPlay handshakes using BTLE and then communicated everything over wireless including Phone.

If you plug the phone into the USB, I don't know if CarPlay will switch back to a wired connection. Apple CarPlay supports both wired and wireless not sure how BMW implemented it.

I have funky behavior especially when setting up for autocross and switching wireless to the GoPro to preview the camera alignment when the phone is also plugged into the USB. This is related to how BMW programmed the connection and switching logic not Apple. When the wireless drops the car will see that it is plugged in and switch me to BMW Connect and the BMW Connect app will start. A real PITA. This might be what you are seeing and perhaps Pandora is opening "through" BMW Connect.

One interesting item. I am able to connect my iPhone wireless to the ODBII connector and via BTLE and BMW Connect to the car and run both the M Drive Analyzer and M Laptimer at the same time. Unfortunately, I cannot connect the M Laptimer to the GoPro b/c that requires wireless which is already being used by the ODBII/ M Drive Analyzer. Now if the M Drive Analyzer developers were to update the app to use BTLE I could connect to the car directly or to a newer BTLE ODBII adapter. Before you say it, yes iPhones can connect to the ODBII via BTLE just not BT connectors using ELM327 (serial).
Appreciate 0