View Single Post
      02-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #55
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

What folks fail to appreciate (I think), is that there is more than one category of "individual" paint.

- There are the "stock" individual paints you will often see listed as an actual vehicle build option

- There are the BMW "factory" individual paints that BMW is using on other models

- There are the "restricted" individual paints that BMW reserves for special models and applications and require specific approval for their usage. These are typically BMW reserved colors and may have special application challenges. (Fire Orange is in this category)

- Then there are the "true" individual colors that BMW will mix for you if you are willing to work for it. This is generally the category where the paint is to be matched to a lipstick color, etc. I believe you have to work directly with the Individual group at the "M-Studio" in Garching to get something like this done.

I worked directly with Individual at the M Studio to get my car done and they can do just about anything you want, to any car you want, as long as you can work directly with them and pay for it. They have a car on display in the studio where some guy wanted a "Salmon Skin" interior (made with real salmon skin). (I believe he was the owner of a large fishing fleet). They had to figure out how to dry, cure, preserve, and apply the skin - and the guy had to pay for the development. But if you have the time and money you can get almost anything done via the Individual folks a the M Studio. It starts with a trip to Germany to meet them...

I met with them FIRST and we worked to build out my M4 before I ever contacted anyone stateside. After hooking up with BMWNA, my final step was to find a local salesperson to simply fill out the paperwork. This is the reverse of how most folks try to get an Individual order approved but it was VERY efficient. I knew BEFORE I went to BMWNA or my local rep that the build was already good to go- 'Cause I worked it out in person!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50