K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I'll see you there! I put some sticky shoes on my CS as well (Sport Cup 2s), but still running stock camber
Well crap - we missed each other. Where were you parked? I was in the grey box van with the white trailer just down from staging.

------------

Car was fun at the track yesterday (AMP Arizona Motorsports Park) rear end has NO traction and I'm horribly spoiled with 10 years of Quattro behind me.

Still not impressed with Toyo R888... Felt the same way they did on the R8 - always slipping around. They're very controllable, just slippy. Come on Hoosier, make tires that fit! - will give the Trofeo R a try next but I'll have fun wearing out these first. I kept shooting for 36 psi hot and will start playing from there to see if I can get a bit more rear end traction.

Looks like I got the camber settings pretty spot on, tire wear across front and rear is perfect - very even. (but I wonder if more traction under power is available with a change in the rear? - presently at 1.8 if I recall correctly)

Pagids worked very well. There are four pretty serious braking zones at AMP and I was getting into the ABS at times - I’m impressed with just how smoothly the ABS works too. My first time into the back straight's braking zone was a wake up from 1600 lbs and slicks (Radical) to 3750 lbs and R compounds Holy crap STOP! Didn't run off the track though.

There was some instant ass meter recalibration after that corner.

I did have a bit of long pedal throw at the end of a pair of back to back 20 minutes sessions and I was having fun being aggressive with the brakes - car stops really well and the modulation is good. Nice feel. I'll flush them again now that I have a track day on the first flush and I'm sure there's still some of the OEM stuff mixed in.

Front end was always nice and did what I asked with the exception of turn 10 - it’s one that I have fun through and tend to get into a bit hot (Radical spoiled me - recorded 1.9Gs through it so I keep trying LOL). It’s a front end pusher if you don’t get turned in correctly - fortunately lots of screw up/recovery room so it’s a fun one to push the limits in. Get it right and the car settles in hard on the right side and bites really well.

Rear end did a lot of dancing and sliding. It's very, very controllable (and a lot of fun) but not the fast line. I played around with the throttle settings and agree that the middle is best. Comfort is slow to react, sport is like a crack addict.

The suspension needs attention. Through 8 & 9 there are bumps. They unsettled the back end really badly - skip and wheel spin. The car pitches and rolls a bit more "floppy" than I'd like too.

Riding with a student in his M3, with his mag ride set to sport, was a totally different ride. His car felt very planted and compliant over the same section. He had traction and control - and the guy was a very good driver (his consistency around the track is better than mine - laughed about this quite a bit too. damn him). Took the student out in my car and he commented immediately about it too.

There's definitely a lot more in the chassis with some tuning.

So overall I'm very pleased - this car is fun to drive, which is what I was after.

I'm looking forward to getting my roll bar installed so I'm held in the seats better with harnesses.

The better you're secured in the car, the less energy you spend hanging on and the more you can focus on driving. Makes a huge difference.

Little trick for three point harness tightening - Move the seat rearwards about 3" from your normal driving position. Pull the belt as tightly as you can across your lap, lean back into the seat and hold the belt tight across your torso at your shoulder. Roll the car forward a couple of feet or so and jam on the brakes as abruptly as you can - it causes the belt tensioner to lock. Then move seat back into the driving position - it locks you down nice and tightly into the seat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 2
Ex_Stig2594.00