View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
I'm on the same boat as the OP. Finally got a track-suitable car (new M2C) and looking at an HDPE event in December. The event is at DIS over two days (probably 4-5 25min sessions). I'm not sure what kind of wear to expect so debating what to do about rear pads and track tires:

I'm planning on Castrol SRF and DS1.11 pads up front and switching to DS2500 once back on the street (read that they have the same compound and no rebedding needed when switching between them). But on the rears, I first thought of putting DS2500s and leaving them for both track and street. But then wondered if I could just leave the OE pads in the rear? Will 2 days at Daytona be too much for OE rear pads? Any issues with brake balance?

Tires: thought of RE71Rs for track event and saving my OE PSSs for the street. If a couple of days track duty would (substantially) wear out the PSSs, does having dedicated track tires make $ense?

Thanks for any pointers!
Montaver is spot on - I just want to expand on the tires a bit more. A more street oriented tire like the PSS is typically going to be more forgiving & easier to drive. The breakaway & recovery characteristics will usually be better suited for a beginner. And not being as "fast" as say an RE71 you will be finding the limits at lower speeds. In my opinion this sets up most drivers to more quickly & better learn car control at the limit - a huge step in a driver's progress. Also keep in mind that stickier tires will be harder on the brakes - so don't out tire whatever you end up going with on the brakes. RE71 aren't slicks but are a noticeable step up from PSS.

Also camber plates - if you find that you enjoy it & start tracking more then might want to consider them pretty early. Will pay for themselves in tire savings.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2068.00