View Single Post
      08-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Tires are probably going to be a challenge on 19" wheels. The front wheel wells are very limited on clearance for a tire OD much bigger than stock. A 255/35r19 (~26” OD) clears fine, but a 265/35r19 (~26.3") will probably rub on the liner. So you have to drop down to a 30 series to get a wider tire in front. There don’t seem to be a ton of options in 30 series track oriented tires.

I’m currently running square 265s on 18" wheels (2018 Non-C) for track, but started on the OE tires, then 255/275 35r19 street tires. I have 12-15 days staggered and 9 or 10 days square.

I much prefer the handling with the square setup, but you have to be very aware of throttle input (timing/qty). The car is on the edge of oversteer from apex to track out or through fast sweepers. On the other hand, the staggered setups were prone to understeer during turn in, so it took more discipline with corner entry than I could muster to not murder front tires. Apparently, staggered is faster, but I can’t validate since I wasn’t running comparable tires.

I’ve wondered a few times if a 10mm stagger would strike a good compromise. Might try it one of these days...

The ground control camber plates have been great for me. I have almost 15k miles and 25 or so track days on them. Still no noises or play.

The Pagids have worked well for me. I can’t complain about 10 or so days from a set.

Other than the camber plates, I’m still on stock suspension. With the move to 200tw tires, I’m definitely noticing the suspension is sprung a bit soft. I’m strongly considering an upgrade to coil overs over the upcoming off season.

Are there many M2s at your PCA track days? It’s not uncommon to see 4-6 or more up here at an Audi Club track day. Maybe you could jump in the right seat for some laps to get a feel for what the handling is like with various wheel/tire/suspension combos. PCA events may not be the best place to find other BMWs if it’s anything like the PCA days here.

Or just get the camber plates, alignment, pads, and fluid sorted and go see how it works out for you. Maybe sacrifice the OEM tires as you get to know the chassis. It really is a fun track car with just these changes.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50