03-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #178
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

FIM 500 CC 2 Stroke GP Bikes -

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
The Laguna Seca track is more known to me and talking about bikes I love reading up on and watching vids of those 500cc 2 stroke bike battles.What sticks most in me tho is the mid 70's battles and Barry Sheene's high speed accident at Daytona which allowed Agostini to take the title that year.
Contrary to popular belief that a puncture caused Sheene's accident it was actually the rear tyre expanding and was locked by the swing arm.He recovered and became champ in 76-77 then 'King' Kenny Roberts got it in '78.
Sheens's career ended after another serious bike crash in '82 which broke up his legs again.I've read his biography.
Love it that you know of Laguna Seca; standing at the Corkscrew and watching the bikes (and Indy cars) flick it left/right while accelerating down that little twisty very steep hill is just amazing; as you know, the heir apparent to King Kenny Roberts was his protege....Wayne Rainey; I saw Wayne a few times on the FIM 500 CC 2 stroke GP machine....unbelievable; a moment I will NEVER forget....we were at the 1993 USGP at Laguna Seca....we just got off the transit bus from downtown Monterey and were standing in line to enter....we overheard the guys in front of us talking about "the accident"....as we listened, we learned that at the GP just prior (Italian) that Rainey crashed and was paralyzed from the neck down....we were in shock....the story gets more strange.... Wayne Rainey's private residence was literally on a hilltop that overlooks Laguna Seca Raceway....so we were standing there in shock, now knowing that our US hopeful to win the GP was paralyzed....and we were looking up at his home on the hill....surreal; since you know Laguna Seca, I believe it was the 93 GP when we were sitting near turn 10 (see link below) which is a very fast downhill section after exiting the Corkscrew (turns 8/8a)....it was late in the GP and unsure what caused the shunt, but we saw Mick Doohan on the Rothmans Honda get off at a high rate of speed....it was ugly....he severely broke his leg/ankle; it is not possible to describe the sound of these 2 stroke GP death machines....it was incredible.

http://www.weathertechraceway.com/si...ilitiesmap.pdf