09-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #321
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4C View Post
This...

Not trying to burst any bubbles but I would caution those talking about these in collectability/investment terms that there are a ton of MSRP allocations available. A ton. That says something about the near term trajectory of these cars. They will be at dealers and sell at a discount in the near term. The fact that I could get half a dozen MSRP allocations today without really trying speaks volumes!

For those trying to minimize depreciation though the purchase price matters just as much as sale price at exit. I would wait. There will be dealers sitting on these in Jan/Feb/March willing to sell for a meaningful discount. Remember that there was hype around the M3/4 CS at first too. People ended up leasing 102k M3 CS’ for Basically 20% off at 700/month. Not saying these will do that poorly but don’t get swept up in the hype when the signs are pointing to this not being as in demand as bimmerpost would make it seem.
I think there's a lot of residual memory of both the 1M and the initial OG M2 launches lingering around. I can't remember exactly, but wasn't a fully loaded and soaking wet 2016 M2 like $55k? People were paying $5-20k over and the used ones, at least for a couple years, held really well. Then production ramped up and the M2C came along. The M2 CS is cool, but it's not going to blow the automotive world's socks off like the M2 did and it's certainly not a back corner of the M warehouse skunkworks project like the 1M was.
Appreciate 0