09-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #145
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Akrapovic Exhaust

Akrapovic Exhaust Install

On Monday I decided to install what I've wanted this entire time, an Akrapovic exhaust. For a long time I was thinking I would do an AA mid + Akra axleback, but the more I thought about it the more I felt that the full Akra exhaust is what would be best. Plus, it shed 38.4lbs, bringing my total weight loss on the car down to 103.81lbs. Officially in triple digits!

I found a great deal with my friends over at Basic Performance so I braved the typhoon and headed up there. Thankfully I arrived in one piece.

Since I went with the full exhaust the sound kit is also included. I think this is important because the flaps do not stay fully open all the time in sports +. This way you can ensure that the flaps are fully open, all the time, so you can make people's ears bleed.

I also looked around for a new desk chair in their chair department.

Anyway time to get to work!

Out with the old!

Side by side comparison.

I also decided that I wanted the rear diffuser as well - because it has gotta match. I chose the matte finish because I wanted to match the tips.

Before you install the exhaust you have to get the sound kit installed, which was more work than I thought it would be, and involves taking apart the trunk to get to everything but never fear, we got it working.

But, time to break for lunch - gotta eat!

Finally time to install the exhaust!

There is definitely something to be said about Akrapovic's quality, fit, and finish. It's amazing what they accomplish with their factory capabilities, and everything is just so seamless. I am so happy with this exhaust!

My friend HONGCHUMZI here on Bimmerpost stopped by and took some amazing photos to finish off the exhaust install!

Final verdict:
No sound clips and I don't think I'll post one. What it sounds like on video is not what it sounds like in person. I think cameras only pick up higher pitches so it doesn't capture the depth of the tone.

With that said, It's at least 15-20db louder than stock. I really like the exhaust note. It is deep, but as you go through the rev range it has an actual tone to it, and of course if you do a quick throttle jab or something like that you can elicit a rasp but in general the tone is quite nice. This sounds weird but the particular tone that's "new" to me sounds like the titanium exhausts that ASM makes. Hard to describe. Anyway, if you get a chance you should listen to one.

Since there is less restriction the cracks and burbles are A LOT louder - and they last longer. I can also tell a difference in sound with MDM mode, that I didn't notice before. Sports+ also sounds different now with the exhaust flaps in the "always open" position.

In short, it's an amazing exhaust! It's well made, nice to look at, lighter, and sounds better than stock! Wholly happy with my purchase!