08-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #144
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Camber Plates and Brake Pads

Camber Plates and Brake Pads

After driving ~10,000 miles on the Ohlins I realized I really need camber plates - for two reasons. First, I feel a camber plate is a lot better and robust than stock top hats, and second because I was getting some spring bind that is usually mitigated with camber plates.

I also was using OEM pads with ~40,000 miles on them, so it was time for a change.

So yesterday I got I drove up to my friends shop, which is brand new and triple in size compared to their old shop.

Their shop car is a M3 CS that's been completely stripped and turned into a "GT4" race car.

It's still street legal, so I took it for a drive and it was absolutely bonkers. Stage 2, 550hp, catless with Akrapovic exhaust, it's tons of fun. Not what I would consider to be a daily driver, however.

The other shop owner has a Schirmer inspired M2 Competition, famously "built in a day." Check out more photos of the build here:
https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nh...016&navType=tl

Great, so now let's get started! I went with Millway camber plates and EBC Yellow Stuff pads, along with some Motul brake fluid.

Some quick notes about the shop itself, they've put in a showroom to display some of their most popular parts that they sell, which when you start to add up you start to realize... There's some $$ here.

I should also mention they have a shop GT2RS.

I just so happened to be there during lunch, so we ate in the showroom that looked out over the cars being worked on.

No lunch is complete without dessert either!

And we're done! All cleaned and buttoned up!

I am beyond impressed with the change in pads - going from end of life OEM pads to mid level "track" pads (well to be fair EBC YS pads are mid level, not all out track pads) is night and day. I'm upset I didn't do this earlier. With proper bed in, there's no squeal but I'm sure I'll get some squeaks as transfer material wears off. I'll just re-bed as appropriate.

As for my spring bind noise, seems to be all but eliminated. Happy with the results so far, but I'll know more once I get it aligned in the next few days.

More mods coming - have another visit planned beginning of September for a big mod, and a track day in September as well!

Last edited by warrenw; 08-09-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 5
gphung193.50
hlm2c289.50
clee1982796.00