Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Both came out my2016. This decision still baffles me. B58 with dct would have been a sick car.
The answer is probably DCT. Since there was no firmware and no testing for B58 + DCT, even if it bolts up, they either had to switch to the ZF8 or keep DCT and use S55. They chose S55 and DCT. I think stock S55 and DCT are better for track use and fit the character of the car a bit more.
Exactly this. Why would you spend much R&D dollar to match a new engine with a defunct gearbox, just for one model? Makes no sense.

The ZF8 is not to be underestimated, it really does give maximum performance with only a little trade off in 'race car' feel. It really is a winner.
I'm a three-leg aficionado 'till the end but objectively speaking, I keep telling folks what a hoot the ZF8 is to command.

I would say it's very much comparable to a DCT, minus the added cost and lurchyness.

It's one of those don't know it until you try it kind of transmission and should not be dismissed outright by mere labels and preconceived notions.
My AMG is dct and I like its shift way more than my 2019 M240i xDrive. Driven M2 as well. Love the shift.
Fair enough but keep in mind, each ZF8 is programmed to operate in slightly different manner and unique personality from each other.

BMW has big shoes to fill, so I'm sure they'll fine-tune the M variant of the of the ZF8 to mimic or exceed the performance that of the DCT, of which it preceded.

All I'm saying is before everyone laments the loss of the dual clutch tranny, at least reserve judgement until we see what BMW brings to table, to compensate of the new version of this gearbox.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
zamboni1127.50