Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
As much as I love my 718, I think Porsche screwed up by succumbing to the media and offering a flat 6 that doesn't really perform better than the previous turbo flat four. i believe the 718 GTS did 1:56 at Hockenheim with 50 less HP. If the GT4 had been the more punchy flat 4, there would be a much better result. JMO, the new flat six doesn't sound all that hot either.
I’ve been a bit confused by the sound too - I have a 981 BGTS with the 3.4L flat six, and it sounds crazy good. So do the “other” 3.8 and 4L engines...I’m hoping it’s just the EU particulate filters and that the US car will sound a lot better, but I’ve been underwhelmed by all the videos I’ve seen.

Need to see one in person to hear the real deal. The 718 Spyder is hopefully my next ride, someday.
AFAIK the US spec 718 has the same exhaust restriction as they didn't want to have different engine tunes for different exhaust back pressures. It basically has a some differences to the interior construction of the filter, but I havnt seen a definitive answer. The 718 exhaust valves also stay closed for noise regs in the lower rev range (until around 4k). The 718 still has a fantastic induction sound but a much quieter exhaust compared to the 981 (which is loud and absolutely glorious). Luckily the GPF style section on USDM cars is not emissions monitored so it can be removed. Soul, Fabspeed etc. all have versions of the over axel pipes which remove the restriction.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50