Thread: Model 3
View Single Post
      11-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Model 3

A friend of mine is an engineer at Tesla and he recently received his Model 3 performance edition RS sport package dual motor (I made up most of that). It really is a a dual motor, extended range, auto-pilot. A woman at work has a single motor edition. I've looked over hers a bit, and drove my friend's car.

Some of the chatter you hear about fit & finish seem to be true. None of the bumpers seem to line up exactly right, on her red one the paint doesn't match on one of the doors, some of the trim is coming loose. His car didn't seem to have paint issues, but was gray and dirty.

On the 3, you can unlock it (and drive it) with either a RFID card or your phone via bluetooth. There is no RFID sensor on the passenger side. So if you're on a date, make sure you bring your phone. I'm an old fart, so I don't always carry my phone when I go out.

Equipped as it was, MSRP was around 73K. My super-deluxe stick-everything-on-it-that-you-can-that's-made-of-carbon-fiber-or-has-an-M-badge M2 had an MSRP of 66K. The Model 3 is quicker 0-60, presumably will lap Willow Springs faster and is much, much quieter, both in road noise, wind noise and of course, exhaust noise. The ride on the M2 is more refined, although with a shorter wheelbase is a bit more choppy. The 3 handles surprisingly well, with a low CG and low profile tires. On the 3, I miss not having an instrument panel, and the controls on the steering wheel vary in function depending on what option the HUGE control panel is on.

Model 3 is all about the torque. Noiseless, effortless bountiful torque.

The seats in the 3 were surprisingly comfortable and supportive. Softer leather than on the M2 with a softer cushion as well. We're both thin guys and it fit us well. Larger folks may have problems.

The steering on the Model 3 is mostly better than the M2. I'm going to give the nod to the Bimmer for better feedback (what little there is) but the Tesla is smoother and doesn't feel as boosted.

I have considered the model S in the past, but the price and luxury/features/quality were not a good match. Plus I have range anxiety.

If it weren't for the quality issues, supposed problem with replacement parts and unknown resale values, I'd consider the 3 for my next purchase. For right now, I just run too much blue and white in my veins to change. Plus, I like to shift and I do enjoy the sound of an inline 6 singing at high revs. The sublime quiet of an electric car is neat, but sometimes you just want to let the inner redneck come out and play.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2