View Single Post
      06-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #921
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

So, I have put some serious miles on my beast today and have been exploring MDM . . . as well DSC completely off. Again, since I am not looking for 8/10 or 9/10 that some pursue in a track setting, I really do not find having DSC off an uncomfortable setting. Still, I think MDM is plenty adequate for the time being and offers some safeguard to boot.

Per previous post, MDM has provided me enjoyment not previously experienced with DCT manual mode. Here is the downside I am now experiencing . . . the beast has plenty of power, however, it really dies off after 5000 RPM. My driving pleasure involves living at top of power band in 2nd and 3rd gears; I really like to keep my engines wound. What I did not anticipate, and do not like, is fact that my beast just flattens out above 5000K RPM.

I have always kept an open ear toward the M3/4 forums but, admittedly, am nowhere near as informed about the intricacies of the two models. I do know the most recent iterations share the same S55 engine as the M2C, but I have never heard anyone complain about the top of the power band with the M3/4. Perhaps they do, and I have just missed the comments? Conversely, I HAVE heard M2C owners share similar complaint as I am expressing.

I know the M2C is slightly detuned compared to the M3/4. Does that ‘detune’ explain the flattening at the top of the powerband? Is there another explanation and, hence, workaround that does not entail an aftermarket tune? For example, will BMW mechanics upload the M3/4 tune to the M2C? Is that even a good idea, given the different chassis and associated dynamics?

Annoying as hell that I have some 2500 RPMs to redline that are not being fulfilled. . . the part of the powerband I like to live during my spirited driving.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Red229627.00