View Single Post
      06-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #913
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I guess where I was headed in my thought train was that for a nanny assistant, the MDM mode on the M2C is actually amazingly well programmed. This is especially true on hard launches in 1st gear. With the PSS' and cool pavement, it's very difficult to manage rear grip versus throttle application since the S55 builds such huge torque so fast. In MDM mode that same launch is pretty amazingly managed by the system. Now try this on wet roads, and it's a bit more amazing at the job it does.

Similarly, when I had the M2C on the 1/2 mile wet skidpad, where DSC was of course fully off, I decided to do a few laps with MDM enabled to see how it responded. I was flabbergasted that the M2C will hold a minor drift angle on the wet pad in MDM mode - no other BMW I've ever driven would allow such a thing with any mode of DSC active....not even close. I had to be very smooth and careful to maintain the slight drift as if I slightly stepped it out too far, it reigned everything in, and I'd have to start the drift over. Interestingly, I used a slight Scandinavian flick to initiate the MDM drift too, and that actually worked which was again amazing.

Anyway, on the pad with MDM enabled, although it did allow a lot of things, I could clearly feel it muting my inputs and numbing the driving experience still. This was especially true when I tried for some maximum speed laps where with DSC off there was excellent feedback in the wheel and seat which allowed me to hold it right on the edge and manage it really nicely. MDM took that away..it was fine up until like 9/10ths and then "stuff" started happening that prevented further speed.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 3
///AVM2531.00
akkando5872.50
KevinM2937.00