12-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Congrat's OP on the excellent decision to spend time w your son, and nice story.

The M2 is not a razor sharp car, its insulated from the road and the steering is a numb but precise vs. more focused track cars like Porsche and it sounds like the R. And the shifter is traditional BMW rubbery.

With that said, it depends what you're after. I enjoyed the M2 as a great DD as its more of a luxury sports car that is isolated from the road, a great sweet spot of comfort with some sport dialed in. And I enjoyed the casualness of the manual shifter / clutch for DD. Driving a heavy clutch on a track machine 100% of the time would get old quick. But when it came to back road time, the M2 was a bit boring as its not connected to the road. You just feel like you're going super fast isolated from the road compared to my C4S which is communicating to you at all times. Again, depends on what you're after. They each fit a different niche.
I understand exactly you're saying. I kept my 2013 6mt Sport 370Z with exhaust & clutch mod for approx 3 months together with the new M2 and would drive the Z about 25% of the time. Yes the Z is a 9 year old chassis, slower than the M2 and yes, it's raw, snug, lacking of modern features but you do feel this nice connection to the steering, road and engine.

Prior to learning about the M2, a friend and sales rep at BMW, wanted me to try a M235i, 6mt. It wasn't your typical test drive, as I got to take it on the highway and my favorite mountain road in a very spirited fashion. The M235i was fast, smoother, handled well, more practical and I thought to myself, I could live with this car on a daily basis. However on my drive home, within a minute or two, the decision was clear. I was keeping the Z. The M235i was just too sterile for me.

For me, the M2 crosses the connected feeling box better than the M235i. It's definitely a faster, more practical and better daily than the Z. However if I had a 3rd enclosed garage, I'd still have my Z.
Appreciate 0