View Single Post
      01-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Borrowed my friend's Shelby GT350. Comparison with my M2:

So, let me preface, since buying my 2018 M2, I've enjoyed it. At times, I think I take for granted how nimble it is, and how forgiving it is........ it's truly an amazing car in so many ways.

Having said that, I've never forgotten the sound of the flat plane crank V8 when I first heard it and have been thinking about either adding the Shelby or trading for it in exchange for my M2.
I've read tons on the Shelby and watched most, if not all the videos, including the few head to head videos out there.

So I borrowed my buddy's Shelby for about 24 hours this past weekend. I didn't push it too hard, but enough to be able to get a nice feel for some of its capabilities. He's a big dude and doesn't have the Recaros, but his leather seats were amazingly comfortable........much more so than the M2 seats -- specifically for lumbar support.
Both sets of seats sit a little high. compared to the Recaros. (given my size, if I was to get this car, I would get the Recaros)
In terms of shifter and clutch, Shelby wins.
In terms of pure auditory bliss, Shelby wins (and I have the MPE)
In terms of off the line acceleration, M2 might 'feel' a bit quicker, but the Shelby elicits far more thrill/joy.
In terms of handling and being nimble, M2 wins
In terms of refinement, M2 wins.
M2 also handled road imperfections better, but the flip side is that the Shelby gave me more road feedback via steering feel than does the M2.

I also loved the lack of auto downshift rev matching in the shelby. And let me be clear: I suck at heel/toe but I still like the challenge of executing my own downshift rev matches b/c when I occasionally get them right, there is no better feeling.

The M2 is a MUCH easier car to feel like a rockstar driver in, IMHO. It's easier to maximize (or try to) its capabilities, whereas the Shelby will take a lot of time and practice to tame that beast. But it's clear from the videos that it's possible, given the lap times that car has shown it's capable of.

Different cars indeed, and both incredible for different reasons.
Appreciate 5
Scrape37.50
KO768.00
termigni1081.00
stein_325i25083.00